all that inspires me to live each day yearning to evolve as an artist, as a person.... makes me want to walk faster as there is so much more to see & yet makes me want to stroll along observing every little thing around... full of beauty.. full of wonderful things... all that imbibed together creates ART....
The book consists of a series of prose poems, or individuated chunks of poetic prose, interspersed with postage-stamp-sized collages made by Green, who is also a visual artist. Collectively the text bears witness to the 2008 suicide of her husband, the writer David Foster Wallace, and its harrowing aftermath for Green…
Upon first read, Bough Down feels disorienting and surreal — like entering a drugged wormhole of grief, pills, and barely tolerable engrams and emotions, which appear via allegory, hallucination, synecdoche, and blur. Upon rereading, however, the bones of the book’s structure become admirably clear.
I take your parents to the lighthouse, I do. There is nothing but September fog to cover our shame, and your father laughs just like you, at the opacity. I want to eat the laugh, I want to rub it on my chest like camphor, I want to make a sound tattoo. I also want to bash these two small people together and see if a collision of DNA will give me my life back.
In the morning, my wife pointed out our son didn’t have kneecaps yet, and later that night I read this line: “I worry I broke your kneecaps when I cut you down.”
Filed under: my reading year 2013
Peach iced tea by No.2 Pencil
- 12 regular sized tea bags
- Fresh, filtered water
- 1 cup of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 11.5 oz can of peach nectar – found in juice aisle
- 1 lemon
- 4 fresh peachesInstructions
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, remove from heat and add tea bags.
- Let tea steep for about 10 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and add sugar to hot water, stir until dissolved.
- Add baking soda and peach nectar and stir.
- Pour tea mixture into large pitcher and stir in 10 cups of ice water.
- Stir in 1-2 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Add sliced, fresh peaches and serve over ice.
- Makes one gallon of peach iced tea.